Looking for a quick and easy chocolate chip cookie recipe? Cake mix cookies packed with gooey chocolate chips are the answer!
These delicious 4-ingredient chocolate chip cake mix cookies are soft on the inside and slightly crispy around the edges and couldn’t be easier to make.
cake mix chocolate chip cookies
Baking cookies from scratch is great but sometimes you just need a recipe that’s quicker and easier. Starting with a cake mix saves you time measuring ingredients and cleaning dishes.
A cake mix already has the basic ingredients you need to make delicious cookies including flour, sugar, leaveners (baking powder and soda), and salt.
To turn a yellow cake mix into amazing chocolate chip cookies you just need to add brown sugar (because you can’t make chocolate chip cookies without that distinct brown sugar flavor), eggs, butter (so much more flavorful than oil), and chocolate chips, of course.
Let’s bake some cookies!
- You’ll use a 15.25 ounce box of yellow cake mix. I personally like using Duncan Hines cake mixes.
- If you have a smaller box of cake mix, add enough flour to the mix to equal a total of 15.25 ounces.
- Using European-style salted butter, like Kerrygold Irish Butter, will enhance the rich flavor of these cookies.
- Measure 76 grams (1/3 cup or 5 1/2 tablespoons) of butter before melting it either using the microwave or the stovetop.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, then melt them on high power in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until melted. Heat for additional 10-second increments, stirring after each, only if needed. You don’t want to boil too much water out of the butter.
- Or melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat, stirring often, until melted.
- Mix 2 large eggs into the batter.
- It’s best to use room-temperature eggs. You can set the whole eggs in their shell in a bowl and cover them with hot tap water and let them sit for 5 minutes to warm them up. I use this trick all the time and it works great.
- You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar to make these cookies. Either will work well.
- Dark brown sugar will give your cookies a deeper molasses flavor.
- Use your favorite chocolate chips. I personally love using Hershey’s Special Dark Chips.
- A blend of milk and dark or dark and white chocolate chips would taste great in these cookies too.
- mixing bowl
- spoon or silicone spatula to mix ingredients (You can use a mixer if you prefer, but it’s not necessary.)
- baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- optional, cookie scoop
STEP 1: PREP
- Arrange an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 2: MAKE COOKIE DOUGH
- Lightly whisk the eggs just to break them up.
- Then, mix in one yellow cake mix, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/3 cup melted butter.
- Fold in 2 cups (one 12-ounce bag) of chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 24 two tablespoon-size balls of dough and place them on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
STEP 3: BAKE YOUR COOKIES
- Bake one tray of cookies at a time for 12-14 minutes until the cookies turn light golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes.
- Then, move the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
If you want to make smaller cookies, use a 1 tablespoon-size scoop instead and start checking your cookies at 8 minutes.
STEP 4: STORE YOUR COOKIES
- To keep the chocolate chip cookies fresh and soft, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Wrap any extra cookies in wax paper, Saran Press ‘n Seal, or tin foil then place in a large zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze the cookies for up to 6 months.