Spread a thick layer of creamy chocolate ganache frosting over soft and chewy chocolate chip bars, then sprinkle rainbow chips over the top to make them even better. These frosted chocolate chip cookie bars have an amazingly delicious chocolate flavor and are easy to make too!
If you love chocolate chip cookies but think they could use even more chocolate, this recipe is for you!
Each crispy, chewy, brown sugar cookie is packed with chocolate chips and topped with lusciously creamy chocolate ganache (a blend of semisweet chocolate and heavy whipping cream). What could be better than that?
You can even add a sprinkling of candy-coated mini chocolate chips on top to add some color and crunch. The addition of rainbow chips gives this dessert a colorful, playful, look which is perfect for a birthday party or bake sale.
The best thing about this recipe is that it takes about 20 minutes of prep time. Seriously, that’s it! You can make the cookie dough in just a few minutes using a mixing bowl and spoon (or silicone spatula). No mixer is needed.
The chocolate frosting can be made in under five minutes by heating chocolate and heavy whipping cream on the stove.
More time will be spent waiting to eat these cookie bars than actually making and baking them. They need to cool for several hours. It’s tough, I know, but the wait will be totally worth it.
Let’s start by making chocolate chip bars.
This recipe is super easy to make by blending brown sugar and granulated sugar with melted butter.
Add a splash of vanilla and an egg, then blend in flour, baking soda, and salt.
Of course, you also need to stir in lots of chocolate chips.
baking chocolate chip bars
- I highly recommend you line your 8×8-inch square baking pan with non-stick tin foil or parchment paper. It makes removing the frosted chocolate chip cookie bars from the pan a breeze.
- If you line your pan with foil or parchment, you can easily lift the cookie bar out of the pan. Then, you can peel off the foil or paper before cutting the cookie into squares.
- Bake the cookie bars until golden brown.
- If you prefer gooey cookies, bake them for 22 minutes. Bake longer if you prefer your cookies to be more baked-through.
There are several ways to make chocolate ganache but because we are all about easy cookie recipes here, I am sharing a super simple method to make the chocolate ganache.
easy dark chocolate ganache recipe:
- Finely chop an 8-ounce chocolate bar, then pour the chocolate into a small saucepan.
- If you prefer, you can use chocolate chips. Just be sure to use chocolate chips that you love eating right out of the bag. The flavor will really come through in this recipe.
- Pour heavy whipping cream (36% fat cream) over the chocolate.
- Set the pan over LOW heat.
- Stir often until about 75% of the chocolate has melted. This is very important. You do not want to overheat the chocolate or your ganache can become greasy or grainy.
- Your chocolate may melt in as little as 2 minutes and as many as 4-5 minutes depending on your stove and pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it sit for about 3 minutes, then stir the chocolate until it’s melted and smooth.
- If all of the chocolate does not melt, you can heat it on low heat for a few more seconds.
chocolate chip cookie bars with chocolate frosting
- Once the chocolate ganache is creamy and smooth, pour it over your pan of chocolate chip cookies.
- Spread it into an even layer.
- Then, sprinkle on some colorful rainbow chips (candy-coated mini chocolate chips).
I love the look and taste of the rainbow chocolate chips but you can use a variety of toppings to make your chocolate chip cookie bars look and taste great. See some other topping ideas below.
other topping ideas
- Top your chocolate chip bars with chopped Reese’s Cups and peanuts as we did for our Peanut Butter Caramel Cookie Bars.
- Add the fresh taste of raspberry by dusting freeze-dried raspberry powder over the chocolate ganache layer as we did for our Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars.
- Or, add a layer of creamy peanut butter fudge in between the chocolate chip cookies and the layer of chocolate ganache like our Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies Bars.
- You can even add a thick layer of creamy Dulce de Leche caramel in between the chocolate chip cookie layer and the chocolate ganache layer like we did with our Millionaire’s Shortbread Cookies.
chocolate chip cookie bars with vanilla frosting
Or, if you prefer, you can use any of these other types of frosting.
- vanilla buttercream frosting
- cream cheese frosting
- chocolate buttercream frosting
- peanut butter frosting
- Funfetti frosting
- Biscoff Cookie Spread
- caramel frosting
The possibilities are unlimited. Have fun and come up with your own flavor combinations. Let me know in the comments below what toppings you liked best.
how to store frosted chocolate chip cookie bars
Store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. The cookies will continue to dry out as the days go on so I do recommend you enjoy them sooner rather than later.
Or you can freeze the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To thaw, remove the container of cookies from the freezer and set it on the counter. Allow the cookies to thaw for a few hours before opening the container. This will keep condensation from forming on the chocolate ganache frosting.
Just note that the colors on the rainbow chips may fade or bleed if frozen. You might want to choose a different topping if you plan to make these ahead and freeze them.