Delicately soft lemon crackle cookies are easy to make using a cake mix and fresh lemon juice and zest. These tart Lemon Cake Mix cookies are rolled in powdered sugar before baking to add sweetness.
If you want to make the easiest lemon cookies, start with a lemon cake mix.
To really ramp up the lemon flavor, add a splash of fresh lemon juice and the fragrant yellow zest from a lemon.
With just a few ingredients, you can make a batch of these lemon cake mix cookies in under 20 minutes.
These cookies are soft with slightly crispy edges. They are packed with fresh lemon flavor.
They also have a wonderful balance of tartness and sweetness. The powdered sugar sprinkled over top adds a nice contrast in color and flavor.
Let's make Lemon Cake Mix Cookies!
- a Microplane grater (or small-hole cheese grater)
- a large mixing bowl
- a silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- small cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- You’ll need one 15.25 ounce box of lemon cake mix. I used Duncan Hines but any brand will work fine.
vegetable or canola oil
- You may use either vegetable or canola oil. Although they taste slightly different, both have neutral flavors which is what you want when making lemon-flavored cookies.
- Make sure to use large eggs. Egg size does matter in baking because you’re adding a liquid.
lemon juice and zest
- Wash and dry one large lemon. Grate off the yellow zest. Do not grate the white pith as it is bitter.
- Then, squeeze the lemon and pour the juice through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any pulp and seeds.
- You'll need 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to make your cookies. Save the rest to flavor tea or to use in another recipe.
More Cake Mix Cookies
- chocolate chip cake mix cookies
- pineapple cake mix cookies (recipe coming soon)
- strawberry cake mix cookies
- chocolate chip cake mix cookie bars
- Sugar Cookie Cups - May 17, 2023
- Peanut Butter Cookie Cups - May 9, 2023
- PB&J Cookie Cups - May 3, 2023
Please leave a comment.