These salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars have a soft and chewy cookie layer topped with creamy Dulce de Leche, chocolate chips, and a sprinkling of salt flakes. They taste decadent but are super easy to make.
Salted caramel pairs beautifully with chocolate chip cookies and you don't have to spend time stirring boiling sugar in order to make the caramel to top these cookie bars.
We are all about easy cookie recipes here so we found a way to add a thick layer of creamy caramel on top of our easy-to-make chocolate chip cookie bars. You simply open a can or jar of Dulce de Leche and spread it over the top of the cookies then add some more chocolate chips and a sprinkling of salt flakes.
If you've never tried Dulce de Leche, it is caramelized sweetened condensed milk. It has a rich caramel flavor and a thick consistency that is creamy, not sticky so it's a perfect addition to these cookie bars.
The best thing about this recipe is that it takes about 20 minutes of prep time. Seriously, that's it! You can make the cookie dough in just a few minutes using a mixing bowl and spoon (or silicone spatula). No mixer is needed.
Then, you bake and cool before spreading a layer of Dulce de Leche over top. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips and salt flakes and you are done. It's that easy!
More time will be spent waiting to eat these cookie bars than actually making and baking them. They need to cool for several hours. It's tough, I know, but the wait will be totally worth it.
Start by making easy chocolate chip cookie bars.
This recipe is super easy to make by mixing brown and granulated sugar with melted butter.
Then, add an egg and a splash of vanilla extract, before mixing in a blend of flour, baking soda, and salt.
Of course, you also need to stir in lots of chocolate chips.
baking chocolate chip bars
- I highly recommend you line your 8x8-inch square baking pan with non-stick tin foil or parchment paper. It makes removing the caramel chocolate chip cookie bars from the pan a breeze.
- If you line your pan with foil or parchment, you can easily lift the cookie bars out of the pan. Then, you can peel off the foil or paper before cutting the cookie into squares.
- Bake the cookie bars until golden brown.
- If you prefer gooey cookies, bake them for 22 minutes. Bake longer if you prefer your cookies to be more baked-through. Mine baked for 24 minutes.
Frost the chocolate chip cookies with salted caramel.
- Spread a layer of Dulce de Leche over the cookie bars. I used a 13.4-ounce can of Nestle La Lechera Dulce de Leche and it was the perfect amount. Jars of Dulce de Leche will work fine too but they typically hold 16 ounces. You can spread it all on or you can save some for another use.
- NOTE: Don't use the squeeze bottles of Dulce de Leche. The caramel is too runny.
- Next, you'll sprinkle on some chocolate chips. I thought about drizzling chocolate over the caramel but decided on simply adding chocolate chips to give the tops of these cookie bars the appearance of a chocolate chip cookie.
- To give these cookies that classic salted caramel flavor, you need to also sprinkle salt on top. I used salt flakes which look pretty and have a nice crunch. Just note, that your salt will eventually melt into the caramel, so I suggest you add the salt just before serving these cookie bars.
More delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe ideas.
- frosted chocolate chip cookie bars
- chocolate chip cookie cups
- pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
- cheesecake stuffed chocolate chip cookies
how to store salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars
Store your caramel-topped cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. The salt will melt into the caramel so be sure to add the salt just before serving.
Or you can freeze the cookies (without the salt) in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
To thaw, remove the container of cookies from the freezer and set it on the counter. Allow the cookies to thaw for a few hours before opening the container. This will keep condensation from forming on the caramel. Sprinkle salt flakes over the cookie bars before serving.
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies - March 22, 2023
- chocolate chip cookie cake - January 2, 2023
- salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars - November 18, 2022
Please leave a comment.