Vanilla sugar cookie bars topped with buttercream frosting are perfect for birthday parties (or just because).
sugar cookie bars
Chewy vanilla sugar cookie bars topped with a thick layer of delicious frosting, these cookies are super easy to make.
Soft, rich, and decadent, my new favorites!
more bar cookies we love
how to store leftover cookie bars
Store the bar cookies in an air tight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days OR in the refrigerator for 5 days.
I prefer to keep the cookies in the refrigerator so the frosting sets well.
tools you’ll need
I also suggest lining your baking pan with parchment paper. You can easily remove the bar cookies by lifting the paper.
If you want to color the frosting, I like gel paste food coloring. Here, I used Electric Pink. You need only a drop or two.
You may also want to top with sprinkles of your choice.
tips for making sugar cookie bars
- We recommend using an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is at the right temperature.
- We also recommend weighing ingredients with a digital scale.
- For soft cookies, do not overbake! The cookies are ready when the top is very lightly browned.
- An off-set spatula is handy for spreading frosting.
- I always use salted butter, although most bakers prefer unsalted.