Looking for a quick and easy white chocolate macadamia nut cookie recipe? Cake mix cookies packed with crunchy macadamia nuts and creamy white chocolate chips are the answer!
These delicious 6-ingredient macadamia nut white chocolate chip cake mix cookies are soft on the inside and slightly crispy around the edges and couldn't be easier to make.
cake mix cookies with white chips & macadamia nuts
Baking cookies from scratch is great but sometimes you just need a recipe that's quick and easy. Starting with a cake mix saves you time measuring ingredients and cleaning dishes. Plus the cookies taste just as good as cookies made from scratch.
A cake mix already has the basic ingredients you need to make delicious cookies including flour, sugar, leaveners (baking powder and soda), and salt.
To make these cookies, you'll start by using a white cake mix (or yellow cake mix) but be sure to add some brown sugar. The molasses flavor in the brown sugar will give your cookies a richer, toffee-like flavor similar to a from-scratch chocolate chip cookie. I like to use butter in this recipe but oil works well too.
Let's bake some cookies!
- You'll use a 15.25 ounce box of white or yellow cake mix. I personally like using Duncan Hines cake mixes but any cake mix will work well in this recipe.
- If you have a smaller box of cake mix, add enough flour to the mix to equal a total of 15.25 ounces.
butter or vegetable oil
- I personally love the flavor butter imparts to these cookies but cookies made using vegetable oil taste great too and they are a bit moister than the cake mix cookies made using butter.
- If you love a buttery cookie and enjoy crispy edges and a soft interior, use butter. If you prefer a softer cookie, use vegetable oil.
- To keep these cookies quick and easy, you'll blend melted butter or liquid vegetable oil into the rest of the cookie dough ingredients so there's no need to use a hand mixer. These cookies can be made in a mixing bowl with a spoon or silicone spatula (my preference.)
- Use two fresh large eggs to make this cookie dough.
- You'll want to add ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar (or 65 grams) to the cake mix. This will give your cookies that distinct toffee-like flavor common in white chocolate macadamia nut cookie recipes.
white chocolate chips
- Use your favorite white chocolate chips. I used Nestle Premier White Morsels but any white chips will work fine.
- You could even chop up a white chocolate candy bar and mix the pieces into the cookie dough.
- You can use natural or roasted and salted macadamia nuts. I personally liked the salted nuts mixed into the cookies as the salty nuts balanced the sweetness of the white chocolate.
- If you make small cookies (1 tablespoon), be sure to chop the nuts into small pieces.
- mixing bowl
- spoon or silicone spatula to mix ingredients
- 2-4 baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat
- 1 (or 1 ½) tablespoon cookie scoop or spoon
STEP 1: PREP
- Arrange an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
STEP 2: MAKE COOKIE DOUGH
- Lightly whisk the eggs just to break them up.
- Then, mix in one white or yellow cake mix, ⅓ cup brown sugar, and ⅓ cup melted butter OR ⅓ cup vegetable oil.
- Fold in 1 cup of white chocolate chips and 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts. If you want, you can reserve some of the chips and nuts to add to the tops of your cookies to make them look prettier.
- Chill the cookie dough for 30-60 minutes if you want thicker (puffier) cookies. Or you can scoop out the cookies, then chill them for 15 minutes before baking.
- Scoop out 24-36 balls of dough and place them on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets. I used a 1 tablespoon-size cookie scoop and got 36 cookies.
STEP 3: BAKE YOUR COOKIES
- Bake one tray of cookies at a time for 10-14 minutes until the cookies turn light golden brown.
- Smaller cookies will take about 10 minutes and larger cookies may take up to 14 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes.
- Chill your trays of cookie dough while you are waiting to put them into the oven.
STEP 4: COOL
- Then, transfer the cookies onto a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
STEP 5: STORE YOUR COOKIES
- To keep the cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Wrap any extra cookies in wax paper, Saran Press 'n Seal, or tin foil then place in a large zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze the cookies for up to 6 months.
more cake mix cookie recipes:
- chocolate chip cake mix cookies
- pineapple cake mix cookies
- strawberry cake mix cookies
- lemon cake mix cookies
I used a larger 1 ½ tablespoon-size cookie scoop to make these larger cookies. They took about 13 minutes to bake.
Enjoy the recipe!