Add a big swirl of soft Dulce de Leche caramel on top of chocolate cookie cups then sprinkle on some salt flakes to create these mini salted caramel cookie cups. They look impressive enough to serve at a party but are easy enough to make for a weeknight dessert or snack.
What could make a chocolate cookie cup taste even better? Salted caramel!
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe to make Snickers Cookie Cups. I stuffed mini Snickers candy bars inside chocolate cookie cups, then topped them with a swirl of creamy Dulce de Leche caramel, a sprinkling of toffee bits, and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
The cookies were amazing but my husband isn't a fan of Snickers bars. Can you imagine? So, I told him I'd make some of the cookies without the chocolate bars stuffed inside.
These plain chocolate cookie cups topped with caramel were so good that I had to share the recipe with you.
The combination of chocolate and caramel is amazing and the gooey Dulce de Leche pairs beautifully with these soft and chewy chocolate cookies.
To balance out the sweetness, I added a sprinkling of salt flakes on top of these little bite-size cookies. Yum!
baking chocolate cookie cups
This chocolate cookie cup recipe is so easy to make using a bowl and spoon (or silicone spatula). You simply melt chocolate and butter together, then stir in cocoa powder, an egg, egg yolk (which helps to keep the cookies soft and chewy), vanilla, flour, baking powder, and salt.
There's no need to use a mixer. You can easily mix this cookie dough by hand.
Tips for making your cookie cups:
- The dough will be soft after it's been mixed because you are adding the ingredients to melted butter and chocolate. You can simply scoop it into the muffin tin or you can chill it for 15-30 minutes if you want to scoop and roll the dough into balls.
- Use semi-sweet chocolate bars or chips that you enjoy eating right out of the package. The chocolate flavor really shines through. If you use bars, be sure to finely chop them so they melt evenly.
- For deep dark cookies, use Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder (my favorite) or any other dark or Dutch Processed Cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Flatten the cookie dough into a nice even layer in the pan so that you get even-looking cookie cups once baked.
- Spray your mini muffin pan with baking spray for easy removal.
- Use a non-stick mini muffin pan. If you use a dark (almost black) coated pan, you might want to reduce the oven temperature to 325. I used a Wilton Recipe Right Mini Muffin Pan and my chocolate cookie cups baked perfectly.
Dulce de Leche
If you have never tried Dulce de Leche, it is caramelized sweetened condensed milk. It has an amazing caramel flavor but is smooth and creamy not sticky and chewy like caramel candies.
You can spoon it directly from the can or jar into a pastry bag and pipe it onto your cookie cups. It holds its shape beautifully.
To make a pretty swirl on top of your chocolate cookie cups, use a large open star (1M) pastry tip. Hold the bag directly over the cookie and squeeze. Swirl the tip or move it back and forth then stop squeezing and pull the bag up away from the cookie.
Chocolate Cookie Cups with Salted Caramel Topping
To give these cookies a salted caramel topping, simply sprinkle sea salt flakes or Fleur de Sel Salt over top.
Salt balances out the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate cookies. The salt will dissolve into the caramel over time, so it's best to sprinkle the salt over the caramel within an hour of serving the cookies.
more chocolate cookie recipes
- chocolate cookie cups with cream cheese frosting
- Reese's peanut butter cookie cups
- brownie cookies
- chocolate caramel cookie bars
- Sugar Cookie Cups - May 17, 2023
- Peanut Butter Cookie Cups - May 9, 2023
- PB&J Cookie Cups - May 3, 2023
Please leave a comment.