If you love chocolate chip cookies and M&Ms, these M&M cookie bars are for you!
Thick, ooey, gooey and filled with chocolate deliciousness, these bar cookies are so easy to make.
M&M COOKIE BARS
These M&M cookie bars take the chocolate chip cookie to the next, ooey, gooey level.
Stuffed with chocolate chips and M and M candies, M and M bar cookies are thick, delicious, and an EASY cookie to make.
Want to customize your bar cookies for holidays? Thankfully, M&Ms come in all kinds of colors throughout the year.
Check out how wonderfully thick these cookies bake!
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
- chocolate cake mix cookies
- chocolate chip cranberry orange cookies
- healthy chocolate chip breakfast cookies
- bumble bee Nutter Butters
HOW TO MAKE M&M COOKIE BARS
you will need:
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- Preferably unbleached flour. Chemicals used in bleached flour produce a softer, less-dense texture. Unbleached flour is denser and more structured and can hold up your baked goods better.
- That said, both work!
- Baking soda helps the cookies rise and prevents the cookies from tasting too "cakey."
- Never forget your salt in cookies! You will notice. Salt keeps away the bland.
- Because we want to cream the butter with the sugars, be sure not to over-soften or even melt your butter. Butter should be soft enough to blend, but it should still remain cold.
- Here, we use both light brown sugar and granulated sugar. Using more brown sugar than granulated sugar produces a softer, moister cookie.
- You may also substitute dark brown sugar.
- Be sure to pack the brown sugar in your measuring cup.
- Ah, eggs. The glue that holds everything together! Be sure to use large eggs.
- Why add vanilla to chocolate cookies? Because vanilla extract enhances ALL the flavors in a cookie.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND M&Ms
- I use both chocolate chips and M&Ms because they both taste amazing.
- Combining the two adds just the right ooey gooey-ness.
- Use semi-sweet chocolate chips to balance the sweetness.
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED
STEP ONE: MAKE YOUR COOKIE DOUGH
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with a pat of butter and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric hand mixer or in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the flat beater, place 2 sticks of slightly-softened butter. Beat for a few seconds.
- Add 1 cup of packed brown sugar and ¾ cups sugar and blend with the butter very well.
- Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 2 large eggs and blend well.
- Briefly mix in 1 cup each of semi-sweet chocolate chips and M&M candies.
STEP TWO: BAKE YOUR BAR COOKIES
- Transfer the dough to your prepared baking pan and use a spatula to evenly spread the mixture.
- If you like, sprinkle a few more M&M candies on top and gently press into the dough.
- Bake, uncovered, on the middle rack of the oven until the top begins to brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool on a baking rack.
- Cut into 24 bars.
M and M COOKIE BARS RECIPE
TIPS TO MAKE M&M COOKIE BARS
- Be sure to measure your ingredients accurately.
- Do not over-soften the butter.
- Butter should still be cold to the touch.
- Cream the butter first.
- Then add sugars and cream again.
- Use a 9 x 13 inch metal baking pan, not glass, for best results.
- Sprinkle additional M&M candies on top before baking for a more colorful bar cookie.
- The cookie bars are done when the edges are golden brown.
- To make chocolate chip cookie bars, replace the M&Ms with additional chocolate chips.