Top these chewy chocolate Halloween magic bars with OREO Cookies, white and dark chocolate chips, and lots of neon green, orange, and purple Halloween M&M's. These delicious Halloween cookies are magically easy to make and will be a colorful and fun addition to your Halloween dessert table.
You don't need hocuspocus witchcraft to make these deliciously chewy, crispy, and crunchy Halloween Magic Bars topped with Halloween M&M's. These cookie bars are so easy to make that all those who eat them will believe you are a magician in the kitchen.
To make magic bars, you create a cookie or graham cracker crust and top it with sweet or salty ingredients and sweetened condensed milk. When the cookie bars bake, the condensed milk turns into a chewy caramel which holds all the other yummy ingredients together.
The beauty of the basic magic cookie bar recipe is that you can add holiday candies or sprinkles to make the bars festive and fun.
More topping ideas for Halloween Magic Bars:
By changing out a few ingredients, you can make a vast array of different magic bars for Halloween including:
- Orange and Black Halloween Magic Bars - an OREO Cookie crust is topped with orange and black Halloween chips and Halloween OREO Cookies with orange filling
- Candy Corn Magic Bars - a Nutter Butter Cookie crust is topped with peanuts, peanut butter, Reese's Pieces, and candy corn
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Magic Bars - a devil's food cake crust is topped with peanuts, chocolate chips, and Reese's Pieces
Halloween OREO Magic Bars
To make these Halloween cookie bars, you simply make an OREO Cookie crust, then layer on two kinds of chocolate chips, more OREO Cookies, more chocolate chips, and Halloween M&M's.
Sounds easy, right?
Let's make some cookies.
Make an OREO Cookie crust.
- Start by crushing your OREO Cookies.
- Use a food processor to quickly crush the cookies.
- If you don't have a food processor, just place the cookies in a large zip-top bag and smash them using a rolling pin or the back of a saucepan. This takes more time but works well too.
- Then, pour the melted butter into the cookie crumbs and mix. If using a food processor, just pulse it a few times to mix the cookies and butter together. Otherwise, stir them together until all the cookie crumbs are coated in butter.
- Spread the damp cookie crumbs into an even layer in a 9x13-inch pan. I like to line my pan with non-stick tin foil (or regular foil sprayed with baking spray) for easy removal and cleanup.
- Top the crust with a can of sweetened condensed milk.
Magic Bar toppings:
- Sprinkle white chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips over the condensed milk-topped crust.
- Then break up 12 OREO Cookies and arrange them over the top of the chocolate chips.
Bake the cookies before adding all the toppings!
- Place the pan of magic bars in a 350-degree oven for 22 minutes until you can see the sweetened condensed milk has caramelized and turned golden brown around the edges of the pan.
- Then, remove and add more chocolate chips and the bag of Halloween M&M's and bake for 6 more minutes.
If you add the M&M's when you put the pan of magic bars into the oven and bake them for the full 28 minutes, the M&M's will crack open. So, add them along with more chocolate chips after you've baked the magic bars for about 22 minutes.
The chocolate chips will melt and they will hold the M&M's on the bars and your Halloween cookie bars will look great!
Some of the M&M's will get broken and cracked as you cut your bars so it's nice to have lots of whole candies on top of the bars too. It just looks nicer.
These chewy cookies will stay fresh for up to five days if you store them at room temperature in an airtight container.
You can freeze these cookies for up to 3 months, just be sure to keep the container closed when you pull them out to thaw on your counter. Let them thaw for a few hours before opening the container. This will help to reduce the amount of condensation on the cookies and M&M's. Frozen M&M's can become spotty due to the condensation.