These cookies and cream OREO cookie bars with a chocolate cookie crust topped with caramelized sweetened condensed milk, cookie pieces, white chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate chips couldn’t be easier to make. In less than 10 minutes you can have a pan of these layered OREO magic bars in the oven.
What could be better than an OREO Cookie? How about an OREO Cookie bar, also known as an OREO Magic Bar, topped with gooey caramel that’s loaded with OREO cookie pieces, sweet white chocolate chips and decadently rich dark chocolate chips? Seriously, YUM!
These chocolatey cookie bars are irresistible and insanely easy to make.
You simply crush, stir, spread, and sprinkle.
What is a magic bar?
A magic cookie bar is a layered dessert that typically has a cookie or cake layer on the bottom. It’s topped with other sweet ingredients including cookie pieces, chocolate chips, and oftentimes nuts, coconut, and dried fruits.
These layers are all covered in sweetened condensed milk which caramelizes when baked. The sticky caramel holds all of the ingredients together.
Our original 7 layer Magic Cookie Bar recipe starts with a graham cracker crust and is topped with chocolate and butterscotch chips, nuts, and coconut.
These OREO Magic bars have only 5 layers. You can add more ingredients if you like but I’m certain you will love this recipe as written.
Tips for making Oreo magic bars:
- Make an OREO Crust by blending crushed OREO cookies with melted butter.
- Use a food processor to quickly crush the cookies. Then, just pour the melted butter into the cookie crumbs and pulse a few times just until the butter blends with the crumbs.
- If you don’t have a food processor, just place the cookies in a large zip-top bag and smash them using a rolling pin or the back of a saucepan. This takes more time but works well too.
- Bake the cookie bars until the sweetened condensed milk caramelizes and turns golden brown. If you don’t bake the pan of cookies long enough, the cookie bars in the center of the pan will be too gooey and the sweetened condensed milk will ooze out once the cookies are cut into bars.
- The edges of the cookie bars will be chewier than those on the interior.
- Only sprinkle half of the white and dark chocolate chips over the pan of cookies before baking.
- The chocolate chips that are baked with the cookie will turn golden brown and will sink into the caramelized sweetened condensed milk.
- If you sprinkle the other half of the white and dark chocolate chips on at the last minute, then your cookie bars will have a nice black and white look to them.
- By putting the pan back into the oven for two minutes, you’ll ensure the chips on top will melt and stick to the cookie bars.