Looking for a quick and easy chocolate chip cookie recipe? Cake mix cookie bars packed with gooey chocolate chips are the answer!
These delicious 4-ingredient chocolate chip cake mix cookie bars are soft on the inside and slightly crispy around the edges and couldn't be easier to make.
cake mix chocolate chip cookie bars
I love to bake cookies from scratch, but once I tried cake mix cookies, I was hooked. Not only are they super simple to make but they taste great too.
The first time I made these chocolate chip cookies, my husband asked me not to give any of them away. Most of what I bake for this blog (and my three other food blogs, Hungry Happenings, How To Make Cereal Treats, and How To Make Easy Fudge) is shared with friends and family.
I made a few batches of these cake mix cookie bars while developing the perfect recipe so we have plenty of them to enjoy. I packaged most of them and put them in the freezer for later. We can pull out a few each day to enjoy a quick snack.
Let's make chocolate chip cake mix cookie bars!
To make these soft chocolate chip cookie bars, you will simply mix a yellow cake mix with melted butter, eggs, and some brown sugar (because you've got to have that caramelly brown sugar flavor in a good chocolate chip cookie).
Oh, and of course, you'll toss in lots of chocolate chips too.
- You'll use a 15.25 ounce box of yellow cake mix. I personally like using Duncan Hines cake mixes.
- If you have a smaller box of cake mix, add enough flour to the mix to equal a total of 15.25 ounces.
- Using European-style salted butter, like Kerrygold Irish Butter, will enhance the rich flavor of these cookie bars.
- Measure 76 grams (⅓ cup or 5 ½ tablespoons) of butter before melting it either using the microwave or the stovetop.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, then melt them on high power in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until melted. Heat for additional 10 second increments, stirring after each, only if needed. You don't want to boil too much water out of the butter.
- Or melt the butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat, stirring often, until melted.
- Mix 2 large eggs into the batter.
- It's best to use room temperature eggs. You can set the whole eggs in their shell in a bowl and cover them with hot tap water and let them sit for 5 minutes to warm them up. I use this trick all the time and it works great.
- You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar to make these cookie bars. Either will work well.
- Dark brown sugar will give your cookies a deeper molasses flavor.
- Use your favorite chocolate chips. I personally love using Hershey's Special Dark Chips.
- A blend of milk and dark or dark and white chocolate chips would taste great in this cookie bar recipe too.
- mixing bowl
- spoon or silicone spatula to mix ingredients (You can use a mixer if you prefer, but it's not necessary.)
- 9x13-inch baking pan
- non-stick tin foil (or tin foil sprayed with baking spray) or parchment paper
more chocolate chip cookie recipes:
STEP 1: PREP
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick tin foil or parchment paper and set aside.
STEP 2: MAKE COOKIE DOUGH
- In a large bowl lightly beat the eggs using a fork just until they break up.
- Then, mix in one yellow cake mix, ⅓ cup brown sugar, and ⅓ cup melted butter.
- Fold in 2 cups (one 12-ounce bag) of chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough into your lined baking pan.
STEP 3: BAKE YOUR COOKIES
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges turn lightly golden brown and the middle no longer looks wet.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Lift the tin foil or parchment paper out of the pan to remove the cookie bars.
- Cut into 24 squares.
STEP 4: STORE YOUR COOKIES
- To keep the chocolate chip cookie bars fresh and soft, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Wrap any extra cookies in wax paper, Saran Press 'n Seal, or tin foil then place in a large zip-top bag or airtight container and freeze the cookie bars for up to 6 months.